Purbanchal University is situated the city of Biratnagar in the eastern part of Nepal . Its prime role is to act as a catalytic agent for the promotion of socio-economic transformation in Nepal through quality education appropriate for quality life and sustainable future. Since its establishment, the University has been motivated by its fundamental objective of preserving, refining, inventing, adopting, extending and transmitting knowledge in an environment that fosters free enquiry and open scholarly debate leading to all-encompassing development of the rural people, their economy and environment.
Purbanchal University (PU), established in 1995, aims at developing higher education in a decentralized way to expand the opportunities of higher education. The prime minister is the Chancellor of the university and the Pro-Chancellor is the minister for education. The Vice Chancellor is the principal administrator of the university. The central office of the university is located in Biratnagar of Morang district in eastern development region.
‘Vision of the university is to establish itself as a center of academic excellence capable of lighting a lamp of quality education appropriate for quality life and sustainable future. Quality life begins with quality education obtained from center of excellence directed by the resources and innovations among others the sincere efforts, motivation, dedications and continuous improvement of our knowledge, wisdom and skills’, claims the strategic thrust of the university. In order to accomplish this vision, the university’s mission is to make research and application based on quality professional education, with potential to addressing the need of civil society while focusing on environment management, human welfare and sustainable development, affordable to available to a larger mass. The university is governed by the following objectives so as to execute its vision for quality education:
- Operate professional and technical institutions of career-oriented higher education facilitating study, research and teaching programs related to various disciplines, and promote all round development of its students’, teachers’ and scholars’ abilities and personalities.
- Contribute to the creation of a competitive environment in higher education by extending and disseminating knowledge by fostering its efficient and effective application.
- Mobilize and utilize resources-local, national, or international with a view to introducing improvement in the quality and effectiveness of its academic programs catering for the changing socioeconomics needs of the country.
- Develop as a model institution of higher learning by correcting academic weaknesses of both public and private educational institutions.
- Encourage ‘modern’ outlook for the betterment of the society, and create an environment that fosters free enquiry and open scholarly debate.
The university offers a number of undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate programs in Information and Technology, Engineering, Medicine, Development Studies, Business Management, Social Sciences, Life Science, Agriculture, Veterinary Science, Food Technology, Public Health, General Science etc.